Playing With Gender
“Who knew gender theory and the 1950’s would go so well together” – Julia Serano
In PLAYING WITH GENDER young people on a picnic learn about gender, gender roles, and transgendered identities in this re-imagining of a 1950’s educational film. The film shows how gender is constructed and a multitude of gender identities that fall outside the boundaries of simply male or female.
In dealing with my own gender transition I longed for a fun, simple way to explain gender and transgender identities to people. I have also always had a soft spot for those educational films of the 1950’s and 1960’s. I wanted to subvert their stereotypes of traditional gender roles and use them to explore some of the limitless possibilities that gender has offer.
Film Coming Soon!
- Merlinka Festival – Belgrade, Serbia (February 2011)
- Frameline 33 – San Fransico (June 2009)
- Outview Film Festival – Athens, Greece (May 2009)
- TrannyFest – San Francisco (November 2008)
- London Transgender Film Festival (November 2008)
- Chicago Reeling LGBT Film Festival (November 2008)
- Seattle LGBT Film and Video Festival (October 2008)
- Translations: Seattle Transgendered Film Festival (May 2008)
- Entzaubert – Berlin, Germany (May 2008)
- Milwaukee LGBT Film/Video Festival (September 2007)
PLAYING WITH GENDER (2007) 7 min., B&W, miniDV